A novel method for assessing cerebral autoregulation in preterm infants using transfer function analysis
March 1, 2016
Vesoulis ZA, Liao SM, Trivedi SB, Ters NE, Mathur AM. A novel method for assessing cerebral autoregulation in preterm infants using transfer function analysis. Pediatr Res. 2016 Mar;79(3):453-9. doi: 10.1038/pr.2015.238. Epub 2015 Nov 16. PMID: 26571222; PMCID: PMC4821724.
Conclusion: This preliminary report suggests an impairment in cerebrovascular autoregulatory dampening ability associated with immaturity, decreased birth weight z-score and African-American race. Decreased dampening is also associated with IVH, although these results cannot distinguish between decreased dampening as an antecedent or sequela of IVH.
Treating EEG Seizures in Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy: A Randomized Controlled Trial
October 19, 2015
Srinivasakumar P, Zempel J, Trivedi S, Wallendorf M, Rao R, Smith B, Inder T, Mathur AM. Treating EEG Seizures in Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatrics. 2015 Nov;136(5):e1302-9. doi: 10.1542/peds.2014-3777. Epub 2015 Oct 19. PMID: 26482675.
Conclusion: In neonates with HIE, EEG monitoring and treatment of electrographic seizures results in significant reduction in seizure burden. Seizure burden is associated with more severe brain injury and significantly lower performance scores across all domains on developmental testing.
Early Electrographic Seizures, Brain Injury, and Neurodevelopmental Risk in the Very Preterm Infant
April 1, 2014
Vesoulis ZA, Inder TE, Woodward LJ, Buse B, Vavasseur C, Mathur AM. Early electrographic seizures, brain injury, and neurodevelopmental risk in the very preterm infant. Pediatr Res. 2014 Apr;75(4):564-9. doi: 10.1038/pr.2013.245. Epub 2013 Dec 23. PMID: 24366515; PMCID: PMC3961524.
Conclusion: In preterm infants born before 28 weeks gestation, seizures during the first three days after birth are common and are associated with an increased risk of IVH, WMI and death. Seizure burden was also associated with poorer early language development.
Publications by topic
- Vesoulis ZA, Mintzer JP, Chock VY. Neonatal NIRS monitoring: recommendations for data capture and review of analytics. J Perinatol. 2021 Apr;41(4):675-688. doi: 10.1038/s41372-021-00946-6. Epub 2021 Feb 15. PMID: 33589724; PMCID: PMC7883881.
- McPherson C, Ortinau CM, Vesoulis Z. Practical approaches to sedation and analgesia in the newborn. J Perinatol. 2021 Mar;41(3):383-395. doi: 10.1038/s41372-020-00878-7. Epub 2020 Nov 29. PMID: 33250515; PMCID: PMC7700106.
- Vesoulis ZA, Mathur AM. Cerebral Autoregulation, Brain Injury, and the Transitioning Premature Infant. Front Pediatr. 2017 Apr 3;5:64. eCollection 2017. Review. PubMed PMID: 28421173
- Liao SM, Culver JP. Near infrared optical technologies to illuminate the status of the neonatal brain. Curr Pediatr Rev. 2014;10(1):73–86. PMID: 25055866
- Vesoulis ZA, Mathur AM. Advances in management of neonatal seizures. Indian J Pediatr. 2014 Jun;81(6):592–598. PMCID: PMC4338003
- Tao JD, Mathur AM. Using amplitude-integrated EEG in neonatal intensive care. J Perinatol. 2010 Oct;30 Suppl:S73–81. PMID: 20877412
- Lee S, Mathur AM (2019). Neonatal Seizures. Jain L, Suresh G (Eds.), Clinical Guidelines in Neonatology. New York NY: McGraw Hill Education.
- Morris H, Mathur AM (2019). Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy. Jain L, Suresh G (Eds.), Clinical Guidelines in Neonatology. New York NY: McGraw Hill Education.
- El Ters NM, Lee S, Mathur AM (2019). Amplitude-integrated EEG. Ramasethu, J (Ed.), MacDonald’s Atlas of Procedures in Neonatology. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Whitehead HV, Mathur AM (2017). Chapter 62: Neonatal Fluid and Electrolyte Management. Handbook of Neonatology (pp 597-607). New Delhi, India: Indian Journal of Pediatrics.
- Vesoulis ZA, Mathur AM (2015). Advances in the Management of Neonatal Seizures. Advances in Neonatology (pp 100-113). New Delhi, India: Indian Journal of Pediatrics.